Monday, September 26, 2011

Taxi rides and clean water

Hi All! This is Nikki, Alicia's sister, posting an update on here. Alicia is starting her first week of teaching in Bukeka today! I copied and pasted two posts she wrote on facebook. Definately gives me a new perspective when I feel the need to complain about the long line at Starbucks- we are so spoiled. Let this be a reminder to us today and always to be grateful for the things we have!
   
On Sunday:
Getting Situated at the Guest House near Bukeka. Tomorrow is my first day teaching in the Village. I'm a bit nervous since there is such a huge language barrier, but I know it's going to be awesome! Helped pump water from a well today and attempted to carry 2 jerrycans of water up the hill to the school... I only made it about 20 feet... LOL I need to practice I guess... Hard to believe that this is part of these Kids' daily life...carrying water for such long distances to their homes, and this is really the only clean well that is in the area, so they travel farther because it is cleaner... Wow...

   On Monday:
This morning on the way to Bukeka, there were 2 babies and 23 adults in a 15 passenger taxi...! 25 people is probably not record here, but It's the most I've had in a taxi before :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment