Wednesday, May 23, 2012


Well, it’s been a REALLY long time since I updated my blog! A lot of things have happened since my last entry. To keep from going to long on one blog, I have decided to put it into parts. I hope you enjoy reading about my last month in Uganda though... I’ve tried to add as many pictures as I can :o)

When I left for Uganda last September, I was planning to be there for a year. I was only able to raise the money for 6 months, and took a leap of faith to go at the time they needed me to start working. I had prayed and told God that if He wanted me to stay for the full year, that I knew the money would come through… but that if the full year is not what his plan was, and if the money didn’t come, that God would give me peace about it in my heart… Enough money came in for me to stay almost an extra month which was amazing to have those 3 extra weeks in Uganda. I flew out of Uganda on April 4th after many tearful goodbyes, pictures, and email & phone number exchanges.

It was very hard to leave my friends and family I had made, but I know God has a plan somehow. On the plane trip home and in the past month that I’ve been back, I have gotten a chance to finally absorb and take in all of the experiences that I have had in the last 8 months. Many of them I had written about in my blog, so I will share with you the events, stories and pictures from my last month in Uganda:

Child Sponsorship Program Update


Suubi Children’s Center has changed so much since my arrival in September! Our Sponsorship program is slowly starting, as well as the feeding program… but the effects from both programs are already beginning to take place. The kids are not only happier and healthier, but there has also been a boost of self-esteem and hope spreading through the kids and in the community.
Some of the mommies sorting through the beans before school to take out any stones and dirt

Some of the kids getting ready to eat their lunch of Posho and Beans
Out of 90 kids, we have 40 of them sponsored so far!



There are many benefits to the children being sponsored, but my biggest joy when I see them is that they have shoes. For many of them, this is their first pair of shoes! 

Uganda has a problem with Jiggers. This is a very small “sand flea” that gets under the skin and lays its eggs. It is very painful! The Jiggers are most common found on the feet because many people cannot afford shoes. You do not know you have a jigger until 3 days after it is there, and to remove it, you must dig it out with a needle.
The problem that goes along with that is the fact that the parents in the village have no antibacterial medicines or bandages to cover up the wounds when the Jiggers and eggs are out… therefore leaving infections and scars.

But, because of the Sponsorship program, this means that there are 40 kids in the village who will be less likely to be getting Jiggers in their little feet! Yay!!

Before Sponsorship

After Sponsorship

New Kitchen!

Our previous kitchen was a small campfire area with a wooden “counter” to dry the porridge cups on. It was out in the open with no walls or even a roof, so when it rained the cook had a very hard time starting a fire because of the wet wood. During the rainy seasons, this meant that the kids had to go without food while at school.


A group in Germany was able to donate money for us to build a new kitchen for the school. It was completed at the end of February. The new kitchen has a roof and walls! The cook is very happy to stay dry while she makes the meals, and there is enough room to build 2 fires!



Fun School Supply Donations!
Pastor Robert with special teaching aides
With donations of special school supplies, stickers, flash cards and toys, we were able to teach the kids more ways to make learning easier....



and then have a new class we introduced called “P.E.”!



My host brother Arthur was able to come to Bukeka for 2 days. He does a lot of work with kids, and also helps with a kids tv program on Saturday mornings in Kampala. So, we brought him back out to the school to play some special songs with the kids.



They had so much fun! Some of the parents even stayed around in the mornings to watch us sing songs like “Hokey Pokey”, “Head and Shoulders”, “Baby Jesus”, “Shake the Mango Tree” and a few more that were in Luganda. It was such a fun day!!

Thank you and please stay-tuned for part 2!



No comments:

Post a Comment