Wednesday, October 19, 2011

School Wish List


This is a song by Chris Tomlin, and I shared it with Alicia before she left for Africa. If you haven't heard it yet, please take a minute to listen to the words. Every time I say a prayer for Global Hands of Hope this is the song i hear in my head!
  Alicia posted some info on facebook a couple days ago, and thought I would put it on the blog for her. We know that many of you have felt a "tug" at your heart to help in any way you can- That is so amazing to hear, and so exciting! Most of all, Global hands of Hope loves knowing that there are people a half a world away, praying for the work God is doing there! Here are some of the needs they have put together:
  School Supplies: books, crayons, pencils, chalk, poster boards, string, paints, paper, ink for the printer, flash cards, etc.
  Desks for the classrooms are between $5 - $10 per desk
  Locks for the school windows. $3 for each lock and we need 16 locks. Right now each teacher has to take their school supplies and things home each night so no one climbs through the windows of the school to take any supplies. It would be great not to have to carry everything  back and forth each day.
  Toys: Jump ropes, balls, yo yos, dice, etc. Right niw we have 2 soccer balls to split between 85 kids.
eventually we would love to get a few different things of playground equipment: Slide, Seesaw, Swings, monkey Bars, Etc.
  Child sponsoring ($10 per month + $35 for their school supplies, uniform and shoes OR a one-time donation of $155)
  Teacher Sponsor ( Teacher 1: $100 per month, Teachers 2 and 3 are both: $60 each per month)
  Bricks for the new permanent school. 60,000 bricks are needed: $1 will buy 16 bricks
  Feeding program: $10 per month for each child.
  Donations toward finishing our teacher house: $2,000 to complete it so we can at least move in and not stay at a motel / hostel
  Personal wish list:
  My host family and the main office are near Kampala in a town called Bweyogerere. The Village that I teach at 4 days a week is located 1 ½ hours away outside of Jinja. If we can sell 260 necklaces or raise $2,700 or around there, we can purchase a  reliable used car for driving back and forth from the house to the village, from the Village back to Kampala, and from My host family to the Global Hands of Hope office. This would be safer than taking public transportation, being able to run errands without inconveniencing other people to take me or go with me places, and it will help when we start other programs at the school or the village during the week without having to travel by taxi or BodaBodas at night (Those are motocycle taxi’s)
  VOLUNTEERS! We would welcome anyone that feels God tug on their heart to serve in Uganda!

There are a lot of things because the need is great. But as this blog is titled, God IS bigger than us, bigger than our wants or desires, he sees the big picture! We have already seen many miracles happen, including the cow money last week, and I know many more are to come... I hope that we can all be a part of this minisrty together! Like the song above says, "Where you go, I'll go; Where you stay I'll stay, If this life I lose, I will follow you." We all have different things we can offer, and as long as we are listening to God's voice, we are right where we should be!

Alicia is working on a new blog post that we will put on here soon. I read to day that she thinks she might have the flu, so keep her in your prayers. Let us know if you have any questions about the above info- we love and appreciate you all so much!
   Nikki, Sallie and Crystal

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I will ever make it through that song without crying my eyes out! Always a great reminder to pray for Alicia.
    Thank you for keeping us up to date with this blog, Love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becca! I just saw your comment! you rock girl..

    ReplyDelete